The data and documents in the Chaco Research Archive are freely available to all researchers. We encourage the use of these resources in published papers, theses and dissertations, class assignments, and other research projects.
Chaco Research Archive website content is under copyright.
Chaco Research Archive content, like any published material, should be cited.
When citing Query Results from chacoarchive.org, please provide the following information in a bibliographic reference:
- The specifications of the query from which data was used, e.g. “Specimens” (Explore the Canyon, Pueblo Bonito, Room 110)
- The date the data was downloaded, e.g. March 18, 2010
- The Archive name and website address.
Citation Examples for Query Results:
Chaco Research Archive
2010 Artifact Query, March 18, 2010. The Chaco Research Archive (http://www.chacoarchive.org).
2010 Provenience Level Query, March 18, 2010. The Chaco Research Archive (http://www.chacoarchive.org).
When citing Documents (as PDF files downloaded from the CRA Archival Accessions), please provide the following information in a bibliographic reference:
- The author, year, and title (if available). If there is no obvious author, please use the repository institution (see example below). If there is no obvious title, please consider using the “Institutions object designation” field contained in the Object table of the CRA database. Please note — every CRA Archival Accession has a linked Archival Object entry.
- The repository institution’s numerical identifier (if applicable; e.g Chaco Culture NHP Museum Collection C#) or collection and box location (e.g. Neil M. Judd Collection, Box 8 ). To find this information, please note that every accession has a linked object entry. If you look at the corresponding object for a given accession, you’ll see where that original archival object is housed, its storage unit location, etc.
- The repository institution (e.g. National Anthropological Archives, Smithsonian Institution)
- The precise URL for a specific downloaded PDF. Use the format: http://www.chacoarchive.org/media/pdf/######.pdf. Replace the last section of the URL (######) with the downloaded file name. For example, the URL for CRA Archival Accession 001361, is: http://www.chacoarchive.org/media/pdf/001361_public.pdf.
Citation Examples for Documents:
Maxwell Museum of Anthropology
 Bc 57 field specimen cards – lithics, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque. http://www.chacoarchive.org/media/pdf/001366_public.pdf. Accessed on August 6, 2010.
1941 Casa Sombreada: Excavation at Bc 52. Preliminary Report. C85941, Chaco Culture NHP Museum Archive, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque. http://www.chacoarchive.org/media/pdf/000630complete.pdf. Accessed on March 18, 2010.
1933 Report on Excavation Work at Talus Unit No. 1 of Chetro Ketl Ruin, Chaco Canyon, San Juan County, New Mexico, in Summer of 1933. C85660, Chaco Culture NHP Museum Archive, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque. http://www.chacoarchive.org/media/pdf/001859_public.pdf. Accessed on March 18, 2010.